Thursday, August 7, 2014

Summer Vacation!

Summer vacation was short buy very sweet! My summer vacation was July 30th-August 3rd and I am finally in the mood to make time for a blog post. Yes!

My students began vacation from public school the same time mine started. However, students still attend their academies during break so it's business as usual here at Raffles...well, aside from the addition of morning "camp" classes and major schedule changes...but I'll save summer camp for another post!

Day one out of my five vacation days was fairly lazy. It was a good day to simply read, rest, and relax. Casey and I did go downtown in the afternoon to see Gwangju's Art Street. Unfortunately we were there at a weird time so it was kind of dead. The street is lined with galleries and shops but not many people were out and about.

Casey and I found an ice cream shop that serves honeycomb on soft serve

It was so good!

Crazy subway

Dak galbi!


On day two, Casey and I ventured to Mount Mudeung! We saw a Buddhist temple and reached a peak, where the air was so clear and the sky was so blue--we didn't want to leave! When we finally convinced ourselves that we did not bring adequate supplies to permanently stay, we traveled back home and met a couple friends (Molly and Perry) downtown for dinner. Our dinner location was named Oh My Burrito, a little restaurant that serves decent Mexican food. Of course I can't even compare it to Chipotle or Qdoba but if you ever find yourself craving Mexican food in Gwangju, South Korea then Oh My Burrito will do the trick!
methrowrock's Story
 CLICK HERE FOR MORE MUDEUNG TRIP PICTURES!

Early the next morning, Casey, Molly, Perry, and I left for Mokpo--a city on the southwest coast. We got a great trip deal with a company called Adventure Korea for the weekend.

Unfortunately, a typhoon was rolling into Mokpo the same time we were so, alas, many of the Adventure Korea plans changed, BUT we still had a lot of fun despite the intense rain and wind. For example, on Friday we were supposed to ride on a yacht, have dinner, and jump off into the ocean. Well, they let us go on the yacht but we couldn't sail it anywhere. The best parts of the trip were simply seeing another Korean city and being around so many foreigners! Meeting new people and making new connections was incredible. Activities included: canoeing, cutting a ribbon to open a fish market (we were all very confused as to why this happened), watching the opening ceremony of a festival, staying in a Korean motel for the first time (I'll save this for another post), riding on a sweet limousine bus, typhoon weather, making new friends from all over the world, eating freaking delicious Korean food, seeing not one but two museums (one was a natural history museum, the other a water science museum), two 4-D movies, seeing the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movie!, Quiznos, more typhoon weather, Korean BBQ, disgusting "cheedle potato" fries, seeing green tea fields, making my own green tea, and did I mention the typhoon?

CLICK HERE FOR MORE ADVENTURE KOREA TRIP PICTURES!
(Click on the first picture and scroll through the album to see captions. If you pick the "View as Slideshow" option, I don't think captions will show).

Perry, Molly, Chloe, Casey

Go forth, noble steed

Adventure Korea travelers on the yacht

Making green tea


Thanks for reading! I am excited to share future adventures with you. I have some footage for a couple videos I will edit and hopefully post within the next week. This includes me trying Korean fast food for the first time and a tour of a Korean motel room. Stay tuned!

Also, this post took a loooong time. Mostly because I had so many pictures to share and I wanted to put a description on each one. Just for funsies, this is the music I listened to while updating my blog today: Not a Trampoline by Rob Cantor. You can listen to the whole album for free on bandcamp. My favorite songs on the album are All I Need is You and Perfect. Rob Cantor is quite talented and I really dig his music. Give it a listen if you'd like!

Okay I love you bye bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment