Saturday, August 30, 2014

Cats the Musical!

Meeeeoooow!

Today I trekked north towards Daejeon to see Cats the Musical! Total travelling time was about 4 and half hours but it was so worth it. I remember watching Cats on VHS several times as a kid (and adult) and I am so thrilled to finally say I have seen it live. And I didn't see it live just anywhere--I saw it live in South Korea! Pretty extraordinary. Apparently this is the second time Cats has come to Korea. It is a national touring group from Australia. And my goodness, are they talented.
I saw the musical with a couple of friends from South Africa that I met about a month ago on my Adventure Korea trip to Mokpo. Annie and Alex are lovely people! It was great to meet up with them again.

The performance was incredible. I was smiling ear-to-ear the majority of the time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was in awe of the talent these performers posses. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed with Rum Tum Tugger and Mungojerrie and Rumpleteaser. Their voices weren't quite powerful enough. However I loved Mr. Mistoffelees (Magical Mr. Mistoffelees was my favorite part of the performance), Munkustrap, Demeter, Sillabub, and Skimbleshanks. Grizabella had a lovely voice. The performance was in English with Korean subtitles but Sillabub sang one verse of Memory in Korean. The audience LOVED it. As far as we could tell, we were the only foreigners there. When she began singing in Korean, I could feel the audience's admiration.










No comments:

Post a Comment