Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Summer Camp

Happy back-to-school season to all of my scholar and teacher friends young and old in the USA! As you are all starting school, my student's summer vacation has hardly begun. Public school summer vacation begins around the last month of July here in South Korea. And it's only one month long.

"Wait, so why does it sound like you're still teaching now, Chloe?"

Because I am! I work at a private English academy, not a public school. For Koreans students, vacation is simply swapping days filled with public school and multiple academies for days filled with attending even more academies. It never ceases to amaze me how hard my students are always working...and I feel bad for adding more work to their load.

Anyway, since my students do not have public school in the morning, some of them signed up for Raffle's Summer Camp. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings we have extra classes for them--I am teaching science and cooking, Casey is teaching debate, volleyball, and dance. The kids seems to have a lot of fun. On top of camp in the morning, we have our usual classes in the afternoon. It makes for a long day but luckily I enjoy teaching these kids!

On another note, Korea's Independence Day (Victory over Japan Day, or Gwangbokjeol) is this Friday, the 15th! You know how the USA's Independence Day is a huge deal with fireworks and BBQs? It doesn't sound like South Korea has the same spirit. I've asked my students what they are doing this Friday since they don't have school and most say they are studying...some were confused why I was even asking as if it isn't a special day! Such a cultural difference. Casey made the observation that South Korea has not been liberated from colonial rule nearly as long as the USA but we still go all out! More info about Gwangbokjeol here.

Regardless, I am quite pleased about having a long weekend! I will be going to Taean County for a Latter Day Saint Young Single Adult Conference. I am very excited but also getting increasingly nervous!


Music I listened to while writing this post: Green River Ordinance

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting that they don't seem to celebrate it much there. How fun that you're getting to teach so much stuff. Is that scary? Or weird to have to teach random stuff? You're so good, you're probably fine. I'd probably be intimidated, haha.
    Ooo, have fun at the conference!! You should vlog while you're there.
    GRO, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is intimidating teaching more stuff for sure! Especially since I just got into the rhythm of teaching my normal classes. I would rather not teach the camps but they aren't too bad.

      Delete