Saturday, July 19, 2014

Saturday Afternoon Fun Times

Friday night, Casey and I had every intention of waking up early Saturday to get ourselves better established in the city of Gwangju. In actuality, those intentions were masterfully disguised false hopes and laziness. Even though our day didn't start until the afternoon--when we finally decided it was time to get out of our apartments--we did everything we had set out to do!

Casey and I at last had the chance to visit the Gwangju International Center (GIC). They provide Korean classes, foreigner counseling services, a library, monthly culture tours around Korea, and more for $40 a year. We read on the website that there were also volunteer opportunities, which is the main thing we were looking for when we went. Alas, it was not very well organized. It looks as if Casey and I will need to look elsewhere for volunteer opportunities.

Although the GIC was a little bit of a disappointment, Casey and I were pleased to come across a youth festival happening downtown.




A fun little thing to observe!

When we finished people-watching, we explored shops downtown. I could go to this mall area downtown one hundred times while I'm here and still find new things. There is so much to see! Especially since everything is vertical here--you see shops and business all around and the you look up and see three or four more stacked on each. 

There is a stationary store we go to every time we are downtown called Art Box. I call it a stationary store but it has some other strange and random wares. We always find several things that catch our attention. Like the romantic(?) quote on this sketchbook:


We also saw some divine-looking pastries at a bakery.
 
And found where a new bowling alley is opening! 

I was dying over the name. I will be bowling here when it opens. It better be as enchanting and endearing as the name implies! Also, the 4F means it will be on the fourth floor. I feel bad for the business right below it!

Then dinner happened. 
Mmmm dak galbi!

Finally, Casey and I saw a play put on by the Gwangju Performance Project. It was started by foreign teachers some years ago and they mostly do plays. The play we saw is Rumors. Neither of us had seem it before and I thought it was just okay. It wasn't as funny as I had hoped. But I have no regrets about going! I am happy to support a small, foreign-based theater.

Well, although we didn't go anywhere until mid-afternoon, the day was full and overall delightful!


1 comment: