Wednesday, September 30, 2015

(Almost) a Week of School Meals

School lunches here in Korea are very different from any school lunch I had growing up in the U.S. Last week, I took my phone with me to lunch so I could share with you all what I typically eat for lunch, with the exception of Wednesday because I forgot my phone that day...

You can always count on a Korean school lunch (or any meal, really) to have kimchi and rice. 98% of the time there is soup as well. I don't know what to call everything but I'll try my best to describe it.

Steamed sweet potato, kimchi, braised soybeans, udon noodles with veggies and squid, soup. The soup had a great flavor but surprised me with a chunk of fish--bones and skin and all. Usually the fish is smaller and has been cooked to the point where bones are soft enough to eat but I can't do it...I still try to pick them out.

Pork? Apples, kimchi, sautéed zucchini, soup, rice with beans

Kkul tteok (rice cake filled with a Korean syrup), zucchini, kimchi, pork, seaweed soup (one of my favorite soups), rice with sauce

Acorn jelly, kimchi, asian pear (apple pear), lettuce (clearly haha), dumpling soup, pork. The red paste is bean paste--it's not as spicy as it looks! Next to my kimchi is also tiny salted shrimp. The shrimp and bean paste are for the pork. You wrap the pork in a lettuce leaf.


I enjoy my Korean school lunches. They are usually very delicious--especially the soups! These meals are hearty and healthful. I'm always excited to see what's for lunch.


1 comment:

  1. I think those meals look pretty decent actually compared to some of the other stuff I've seen. Did you hear about that big scandal at a high school where the admin were stealing millions of won from the lunch fund? Crazy!

    http://teachinginkoreanuniversity.com/

    ReplyDelete