Monday, December 7, 2015

Hangul Day Weekend

Okay I'm finally going to write a blog post about something that happened two months ago. Hey! Don't act so surprised.

October 9th is a national holiday in Korea called Hangul day. Hangul is the Korean alphabet and Hangul day is a time to celebrate the creation of Hangul. While I enjoy Korean, I especially enjoy three day weekends, which is what I got thanks to Hangul day.

It was a pretty eventful weekend with lots of travel time. I started by going north to Seoul for a Kpop concert, then back down close to my part of the country, then way down south to Jinju for a lantern festival, and finally back home to the middle area of Korea.


My first Kpop concert
The concert was so much fun. It was only 15,000 won per ticket and I got to see about 30 different Kpop groups perform at the world cup stadium. The audience was huge and loud! We were surrounded by screaming fangirls wearing light-up headbands that had the names of their favorite group and member. When the most popular male kpop group, EXO, came out on stage, the reaction was unreal. It was how I've imagined it must have been like when the Beatles came to America.

My friend and I stayed at a jimjilbang (bath house) in Seoul that night. Unfortunately it was packed. I ended up sleeping in the locker room area because there was just no space left in any of the sleeping spaces. Regardless of the rough night's sleep we had, we knew the next day would be fantastic.

In the morning we took a train from Seoul to Daejeon, where a friend of mine picked us up and drove us to a city called Nonsan. Nonsan is well known for Daedunsan mountain. What's so special about this mountain?

 This! I'm not sure how it looks to you, but since I've seen it in real life, it's pretty impressive. There are two suspension bridges you can cross on this hike but one of them is a fairly intimidating set of stairs. It was a great hike, even though we opted for taking the cable car half the distance!

Here comes the cable car!
In the cable car with my friends
Beautiful view!

First suspension bridge

View from the bridge

Up, up, up
View from the top of the floating stairs




On our way back down, we spotted this lovely rainbow off in the distance


Right when we finished hiking, we hopped in the car and headed towards Jinju, traveling through a torrential downpour! Really, the rain was horrible and I was super stressed. But we made it to Jinju in one piece and enjoyed the lantern festival for a little while before the rain caught up to us again. I hear this is a very famous festival in Korea and I would like to have enjoyed it more but unfortunately the weather just want being very agreeable. I did get a few pictures in the short amount of time we were there.







 It was a super full and fun weekend. Thank you, King Sejong for inventing Hangul so I could have a great three day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment