Thursday, February 12, 2015

Studio Ghibli Exhibit Excitement!



Last month when I took a little trip to Seoul, I went to a Studio Ghibli exhibition. Ever since I heard about it--I knew I had to go. And I am so happy I did. For anyone that does not know, Studio Ghibli is a Japanese animation studio. Most of their movies are directed/written by a man named Hayao Miyazaki. Please don't dismiss these films as simple "cartoons." They are beautiful, entertaining, powerful, and moving. Miyazaki is a fantastic and inspiring story-teller.

So clearly I was enthused haha.

Advertisement for the exhibit 
The exhibit was inside this mall
Ponyo sculpture
 
Walking up to the exhibit!

When you get a ticket, you also get a blank round sticker to draw on and stick on this wall.

I drew little forest spirits from Princess Mononoke
Cool idea, right?



Finally going in!
 The first part of the exhibit was Howl's Moving Castle, one of my top 3 favorite movies from the studio. The first thing you see is Howl's castle--moving! And you can hear the beautiful music from the movie. It's was a pretty magical moment for me.




Markl
Turnip Head in the window

Selfie with Sophie

I was most excited about the next part, Princess Mononoke--one of my top three favorite movies of all time





Ahsitakaaaaaaa!


 Pom Poko


My Neighbor Totoro




Hmm what's inside this tree??
A big sleeping Totoro!! 
He moves! 

Porco Rosso! Love this one




Spirited Away! First Studio Ghibli movie I ever watched. I remember watching it for the first time one summer at my grandparents house. I completely fell in love with it.





I wish I could have taken a better picture. The line to take a picture with No Face was insane so I was rushing!
I don't know this family but they were so cute
Naturally, the exhibit led straight into an impressively expensive gift shop. Don't get me wrong, of course I wanted to buy just about everything but the prices were so, so, so high.
 Before exiting, I went back to the beginning of the exhibit and meandered through one more time. I was in there for a loooong time. I was just so happy--I couldn't get enough of it!

I only bought a book about the exhibit. It had nice pictures of everything
Unfortunately this is a temporary exhibit. It will be in Seoul until March 1, 2015. I would totally go again if it was staying around longer. Seeing the exhibit made me want to go to Studio Ghibli in Japan incredibly bad!

I would love to have seen other films included in the exhibit like Arrietty and Castle in the Sky. But hey, I am satisfied with what I was given!













No comments:

Post a Comment